How about this for an idea? Stop paying license fees to Microsoft every time you buy a new PC. Dont upgrade to Office 2007 or 2010. Scrap the lot and download "OpenOffice" instead. Its free, its compatible and at least in some respects it is better. None of the users will mind, if they realise that this "cut" is instead of cutting the service they provide.
I have downloaded the whole suite to my PC from http://www.openoffice.org/ and spent time playing about with it. My verdict
- It really is compatible with Office, you can open Word, Excel and Powerpoint files and edit them and save them as Office files very easily
- There is MUCH less of a learning curve going from Office 2003 to OpenOffice than there would be going to Office 2007. I am still scanning the numerous "ribbon menus" trying to work out where Microsoft has put things.
- It does pretty much everything Office does, and a few things Office 2003 didnt do, like exporting to PDF.
- I still havent come to terms with the new Access 2007. The Open Office Database was a pleasurable throwback to the old Access look and feel which I have lost.
- Open Office Drawing programme offers you a version of Visio.
That's my idea for now. Share your ideas with our community for painless cuts by commenting or by emailing caseworker@hubsolutions.co.uk
No comments:
Post a Comment